The ventures team is global and comprises of Investment Managers, Technology Managers, and Deal Flow Officers in the key geographies of North America, Europe, and Greater China.
Senior Specialist, Technology – Technology Identification & Acquisition
Reference Number: 4821
Location: Bergen op Zoom, Sittard-Geleen
Job Type: Professional
Vacancy Category: Research & Development
SABIC Ventures, part of the Corporate Technology & Innovation organization, plays a key role providing a structured innovation capability, responsible for identifying and realizing technology options, either to reinforce the current asset core or to create new businesses at a corporate level. To this end, SABIC Ventures focuses on start-up companies developing innovative technologies. In order to get access to such technologies, it has several instruments at its disposal:
- Joint Development Agreement: jointly investing funds and resources to co-develop a new technology, product, service or application
- Venturing: investing equity in start-up companies, usually in the form of minority shares and fulfilling board seats in them.
- Licensing-in: acquiring a license permitting the use of technologies developed by start-up companies/universities or institutes.
- Acquisition: fully or partly acquiring start-up companies, usually private companies, which are light in assets.
The ventures team is global and comprises of Investment Managers, Technology Managers, and Deal Flow Officers in the key geographies of North America, Europe, and Greater China. The department has corporate support functions required to successfully execute deal flow: Legal Counsel, Intellectual Properties Counsel and functional experts from within SABIC.
Job Purpose & Responsibilities
The purpose of the Technology Manager role is twofold; ‘bottoms-up’ to create deal flow within the strategic areas of interest to SABIC; and ‘top-down’ to lead and manage the regional interface with internal need owners (i.e. SABIC business units and Corporate Programs) and external (technology) innovation solution providers. The Technology Manager screens and prioritizes (‘kiss or kill’) opportunities for joint developments, investment, licensing-in or acquisition, in collaboration with the business units, within the region they are responsible for. Depending on the opportunity in question and with the approval of the Director of Ventures, the Technology Manager may own the deal flow process.
The Technology Manager is the primary internal expert responsible for coordinating the preliminary due diligence process and ensuring that the SABIC Technology representatives are not contaminated from an intellectual property perspective during early partner engagements.
The Technology Manager identifies future technology developments at external technology providers that SABIC is not aware of and present them to the relevant business unit or research group within SABIC.
- To create deal flow in the strategic areas of interest for SABIC within Europe.
- Screening of joint development, investment, licensing-in and acquisition opportunities starting from hunting grounds of SABIC’s Corporate Platforms and business units.
- To conduct preliminary evaluation of the technology, its use, its uniqueness as well as applicability to SABIC’s existing and future strategic businesses (strategic fit) and the level of commercial feasibility.
- Taking prompt decisions to kill obvious non-feasible opportunities at early stage before they go to sponsors; thus helping to provide focus on feasible opportunities. This also implies that technology manager is responsible to have upfront understanding of business unit and corporate technology needs and constraints.
- Responsible for following the deal flow governance process and required documentation.
- To develop a strategy for interfacing and interacting with potential solution providers, developing preliminary assessments vs. strategy and providing shortlists of potential solutions to the need owner.
- To build and maintain internal relationships with functions required for deal flow process, such as domain technology experts and legal functions.
- Assist, as requested, the internal stakeholders to develop hunting grounds for finding potential solutions.
- Contributes to the development of a sustainable pipeline of technology options/opportunities to meet SABIC’s technology needs.
- Conducts technical due diligence and assists in IP due diligence for any identified deal opportunities.
Supports Investment Managers as required to execute the deal flow process, close deals, secure internal sponsorship, manage stakeholders and fulfil reporting requirements.
- BS, MSc or PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering or preferably materials science.
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English
- Training in business development, intellectual property and legal agreements ± 10-15 years of industrial experience in the (petro)chemical industry
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience in a technology development related job.
- Experience with new business development/starting technology ventures is a plus.
- In-depth understanding of the petrochemical industry, its needs, trends and challenges
- Strategic decision making; able to take decisions on what is relevant for SABIC 3-10 years from now.
- Broad understanding of strategy development, innovation, corporate finance and legal (venturing).
- Strong interpersonal, communication, networking and influencing skills, combined with a sound understanding of cultural differences, to build strategic working relationships and partnerships both inside and outside SABIC.
- Innovative and lateral thinker; ability to think out of the box and dares to challenge status quo.
Organize for success: Ability to drive initiatives across the entire SABIC organization to induce/ strengthen the innovation focus and capabilities.
For more information about this role you can contact: Ingrid Schellens, Recruiter, tel 0031(0)646103085
Important notice: please be informed that a reference check, an employment verification and E-assessment is be part of our recruitment process. A Certificate of Good Conduct can be requested depending the level of the role in our organization and/or function, allowing us to request dependant of local regulations.
People Who Can
We’ve always believed that it takes special people to make a difference. They need ingenuity, brilliance and the freedom to turn their ideas into reality. At SABIC, this is our culture. We find open-minded, gifted and questioning people. Then we create the conditions for their talent to flourish: fulfilling work environments, state-of-the-art technology and the empowerment they need. So when you work for SABIC, you’re the person who can find new solutions and possibilities that change the world for the better. SABIC, headquartered in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of Petrochemicals, Specialties, Agri-Nutrients, and Metals. We supply these materials to other companies, who use them to make products on which the world has come to depend. At SABIC, we believe in using chemistry to power the ambitions of our customers, business partners, employees and societies we live in. We call this “CHEMISTRY THAT MATTERS™”.
In Europe, SABIC employs over 5,000 professionals and is running 6 world-scale production sites and 4 technology & innovation centers. We are present in almost every European country. Major locations within our broad network of innovation, production and marketing are: Teesside (UK), Cartagena (Spain), Gelsenkirchen (Germany), Geleen (Netherlands) Bergen op Zoom (The Netherlands) and Genk (Belgium). Based upon this strong fundament, we are a key producer of olefins, polyolefins, engineering thermoplastics resins, films and sheets. Discover more at sabic.com/careers
Apply for this job!
If you are interested in this position and you would like to apply please send your CV and motivation letter via our online Application page.
Responses from employment agencies will not be considered.
Solliciteer op deze functie